About The Town of Binghamton
In 1786, multi-millionaire Philadelphian and U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania, William Bingham, bought (with a partner), 32,620 acres of land from New York State at 12.25 cents per acre. The patent in Bingham’s name included 15,040 acres at the confluence of the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers.
On December 3, 1855, by act of the Legislature, the Town of Chenango was to be divided, creating the Town of Binghamton which at that time consisted mostly of the east side of the City of Binghamton and lands south of the Susquehanna and Chenango confluence. By the year 1890, the Town of Binghamton was reduced to its present size of over 15,000 acres. The Town of Binghamton is currently bordered on the north by the City of Binghamton, on the east by the Town of Conklin, on the south by the state of Pennsylvania, and on the west by the Town of Vestal.
The Town of Binghamton, from its inception, has progressed from a dense growth of evergreen forest, to a dairy farming area, to a beautiful residential area easily accessible to the nearby urban area. Even as the Town of Binghamton continues to expand in several ways, we are reminded of the heritage of our town by studying the Town of Binghamton logo which was designed by Marsha Van Vorce Fenner and adopted by the Town Board in 1975.
The symbols in our logo are as follows:
- The oval shape represents an egg which symbolizes the birth and life of this community.
- The eagle represents patriotism.
- The hands represent friendship.
- The three interlocking circles represent heritage, present growth, and future anticipation.
- The sprig of wheat represents the peaceful attitude of this area’s people and its governmental bodies. It also symbolizes the rural atmosphere which still prevails in many areas of this town.
- The hemlock branch was chosen as a symbol of this town because of the presence of many wooded areas which still give this community its rural atmosphere and because it was the historical namesake given to the area.
One can read this brief history of the Town of Binghamton and see a snapshot of our town’s history. However, to really experience the history, one could visit (for example) Exterminator’s Grave (Triple Crown Winning Horse) on Gardner Road or visit the Binghamton Township Historical Society Museum at the Old Hawleyton United Methodist Church in Hawleyton which is one of New York State’s Historical Landmarks, just to name a few. So, as the old saying goes, “Seeing is believing.” We encourage you to visit the Town of Binghamton and see for yourself!
Reference: Arthur K. Van Vorce, Sr. Former Town Historian